Child Sexual Exploitation (CSE) is an issue that has greatly affected our town. I am proud to have been able to work with victims and survivors to get their voice heard in Parliament and to have joined survivors in successfully campaigning for an inquiry. This website shows only publicly recorded actions and events - and of whilst the public record is great evidence of the work I have done in this area, a lot of work has also gone on behind the scenes.
I have met with many victims and survivors, worked to secure legal representation for families, worked with the police and probation services locally to ensure new victims coming forward were properly heard, and also with the local Council to get the inquiry off the ground. Throughout the inquiry I met and worked closely with Tom Crowther QC, the Chairman, to ensure that victims got the justice they deserve. I have worked cross-party with MPs whose constituencies have been affected by this issue.
I have campaigned to change the law relating to early release of serious sexual offenders by highlighting the case of the Mubarek Ali and have worked with the media on articles, interviews and documentaries to keep shining the light on an issue that had been too long swept under the carpet.
Since my election, I have consistently put victims front and centre of my work in Parliament. It was through my lobbying that I secured an Independent Inquiry into Telford CSE cases (IITCSE) through my work in Parliament and with Telford & Council. This QC-led inquiry was published on 12 July 2022.
The final report can be found here.
It may be helpful to summarise the actions I have been taking to tackle this issue on behalf of victims and my constituents since I was first elected:
- I have been shining a light on this problem by raising the matter in PMQs and in debates in Parliament and widely in the media over many years.
- Victims who have been failed by the Police and the Council have come to me for help. I have ensured that their voices were heard, and their cases prosecuted including a recent case where the victim was turned away three times by Police and now the perpetrator has been brought to justice.
- I have secured pro bono legal advice for victims, many of whom would ordinarily be unable to afford legal fees.
- I have consistently held the Council and the Police to account, publicly challenging their response and their commitment to ensuring justice.
- I have worked on legislation in Parliament to prevent early release of perpetrators of serious sexual offences. This Government has already increased sentences, but it is my firm conviction that we can go further.
- I have worked with the Parole Board and the Victims’ Commissioner to ensure victims are supported at the time of the release of offenders.
- I have briefed a series of Justice and Home Office ministers on the situation in Telford, ensuring that those at the top of Government are aware of the issues on the ground.
- I have repeatedly met with local Police to discuss this over the last 7 years.
- After the report was published I held an adjournment debate in Parliament and urged Telford and Wrekin Council to ensure all the recommendations of the report were implemented.
I am proud of the work I have done for victims of CSE. Some of that work is not in the public domain as the cases are currently in the legal system but I would like to assure you that this issue is an absolute priority for me as Telford’s MP. I will continue to fight for justice for victims and am following the progress of the IITCSE inquiry closely.
You can read the full report from the IITCSE Inquiry on their website here. I continue to prioritise justice for CSE victims in Telford and I will work around the clock to ensure that these crimes are not repeated in our community or across the country.
You may find some useful links on all the work I have mentioned below:
On my website:
- 9/10/2017 - Lucy Allan pleased that Mubarek Ali won’t be returning to Telford | Lucy Allan
- 1/11/2017 - Lucy Allan MP raises the early release of Mubarek Ali in Parliament | Lucy Allan
- 13/3/2018 - Lucy's Westminster Hall speech on child sexual exploitation (CSE) | Lucy Allan
- 23/1/2019 - Lucy Allan raises lack of progress of Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Exploitation at Prime Minister’s Questions | Lucy Allan
- 25/2/2019 - Lucy Allan raises CSE in Parliament with Minister for Crime, Safeguarding and Vulnerability | Lucy Allan
- 6/2/2019 - Lucy Allan holds debate in Parliament on the progress of the Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Exploitation in Telford | Lucy Allan
- 1/3/2019 - Lucy Allan meets with Ministers to discuss Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Exploitation in Telford | Lucy Allan
- 23/2/2022 - Lucy Allan MP contributes to Westminster Hall Debate on CSE | Lucy Allan
- 20/5/2022 - Lucy meets with West Mercia Police to discuss Independent Inquiry into CSE in Telford | Lucy Allan
- 12/7/2022 - Lucy Allan MP comments on release of Telford CSE Report | Lucy Allan
- 5/9/2022 - Lucy holds debate on IITCSE Report | Lucy Allan
Telford Conservatives' website:
Letter to the Chairman of the Inquiry and my response to the Terms of Reference consultation before the Inquiry was announced:
Westminster Hall Debates:
- 25/10/2016 - Child Sexual Exploitation: Telford - Hansard - UK Parliament
- 19/4/2016 - Children’s Homes - Hansard - UK Parliament
- 13/3/2018 - Victims of Crime: Rights - Hansard - UK Parliament
- 22/5/2018 - Child Sexual Exploitation and Consent to Sexual Inter - Hansard - UK Parliament
- 6/2/2019 - Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Exploitation - Hansard - UK Parliament
- 23/2/2022 - Child Sexual Exploitation by Organised Networks - Hansard - UK Parliament
Speaking on CSE in the House of Commons:
- 14/9/2016 - Prime Minister - Hansard - UK Parliament
- 19/7/2017 - Engagements - Hansard - UK Parliament
- 5/9/2017 - Child Sexual Exploitation: Sentencing - Hansard - UK Parliament
- 31/10/2017 - Topical Questions - Hansard - UK Parliament
- 14/3/2018 - Engagements - Hansard - UK Parliament
- 19/3/2018 - Topical Questions - Hansard - UK Parliament
- 25/2/2019 - Police Funding - Hansard - UK Parliament
- 28/1/2020 - Criminal Law - Hansard - UK Parliament
- 11/2/2020 - Prisoners (Disclosure of Information About Victims) - Hansard - UK Parliament
- 27/2/2020 - Child Protection - Hansard - UK Parliament
- 16/9/2020 - Sentencing White Paper - Hansard - UK Parliament
- 26/10/2021 - Child Sexual Exploitation: Bradford - Hansard - UK Parliament
- 23/02/2022 - Child Sexual Exploitation by Organised Networks - Hansard - UK Parliament
- 05/09/2022 - Telford Child Sexual Exploitation: Inquiry - Hansard - UK Parliament
In the news:
- Telford grooming gang leader back behind bars - BBC News
- MP slams decision to 'release former child sex gang ringleader Mubarek Ali 17 years early' | The Independent | The Independent
- Mubarek Ali: Why is he just being let out? | Shropshire Star
- Report into child sexual exploitation in Telford 'could find extensive failures' | Shropshire Star
- 'No time limit' call by MP on Telford CSE inquiry | Shropshire Star
- MP Lucy Allan calls for Telford child sex abuse inquiry - BBC News
- Telford just shows how far we are from understanding child sexual exploitation (newstatesman.com)
- MP renews calls for inquiry into 'extremely shocking' child sexual abuse allegations| ITV News Central
- Telford child abuse gang ringleader freed | Shropshire Star
- Telford CSE inquiry 'like slow gravy train', MP says - BBC News
- Telford child sex abuse: Lessons need to be learned from inquiry, says MP Lucy Allan | ITV News Central
- Lucy Allan: After decades of failure, the victims of child sexual exploitation in Telford are finally being heard (politicshome.com)