Lucy Allan MP has a strong track record of campaigning for better maternity care following the maternity scandal at the Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital Trust, where malpractice over many years led to the tragic injuries and deaths.
There have been many families affected who are Lucy's constituents and she has helped them to access solicitors, she raised their cases with hospital management and ministers, and helped them engage with the Ockenden review.
Lucy also made a formal complaint against the former Chief Executive of the Trust and campaigned for the Trust to be placed in special measures. Both of these objectives were achieved. Lucy welcomed the work of the Ockenden review and put pressure on Ministers, whilst encouraging Government to make this issue a national priority.
Former Secretary of State for Health Jeremy Hunt who commissioned the Ockenden review said: “I thank [Lucy Allan] for her tireless campaigning on this issue. It’s not easy to publicly criticise a local hospital trust and for an honourable member to do that, as in this case, shows enormous courage.”
You can read more about Lucy's campaigning on this issue below:
- 15/1/20 - Adjournment debate secured by Lucy
- 16/1/20 - Business Question to the Leader of the House
- 10/12/20 - Statement on the Ockenden Review
Articles on this website:
- 10/5/19: Further urgent action to be taken against local health trust
- 24/1/20: Lucy meets chairman and chief executive of Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital Trust
- 21/4/20: Ockenden review investigating 1170 maternity cases at Telford and Shrewsbury hospitals
Articles on Lucy’s Facebook page:
- 19/11/19 - https://www.facebook.com/LucyAllanForTelford/posts/2506460642808111
- 11/12/20 - https://www.facebook.com/LucyAllanForTelford/posts/3474984055955760
- 12/12/20 - https://www.facebook.com/LucyAllanForTelford/posts/3476588759128623
In the Media:
- 8/11/18 - National Health Executive
- 15/1/20 - ITV News
- 16/1/20 - The Telegraph
- 16/1/20 - BBC News
- 18/7/20 - Shropshire Star
Lucy Allan said: “I am proud of my record on this issue. I spoke out after hearing from my constituents who had suffered terrible loss, trauma and injustice. I was proud to give them a voice and campaign on their behalf. There are many families across Shropshire who have suffered. Many would not have come forward but for the extraordinary campaigning of a small number of brave families, who worked tirelessly to bring about the Ockenden Review. They can be so proud of what they achieved for others. I pay tribute to them all. I hope they feel some comfort from the new investment in this area, and the work of Donna Ockenden.”