Lucy Allan MP has campaigned for justice for sub-postmasters for a number of years, particularly on behalf of Telford constituent Tracy Felstead. Ms Felstead was, like many other sub-postmasters, falsely convicted of false accounting and fraud, although her conviction was quashed along with 38 others in April 2021.
Working cross-party as a member of the APPG on Post-Offices, Lucy had for many years sought to secure and partake in parliamentary debates and question sessions to raise the profile of this scandal and keep pressure on the Post Office itself.
Lucy also met personally with representatives of the Post Office in Parliament, seeking to raise the issue directly with management. The Post Office were however intransigent throughout. Liaising with the Criminal Cases Review Commission (CCRC), Lucy was confident that the evidence used to convict the sub-postmasters was unsound and continued to fight on behalf of sub-postmasters.
Justice was finally achieved in this case with the decision by the courts to expunge on 23rd April 2021 39 sub-postmasters who had been falsely convicted.
Lucy’s campaigning record is extensive and can be explored below:
- Wrongful convictions question to Leader of the House - 13th Feb 2020
- Lucy asks questions of the Lord Chancellor - 25th Feb 2020
- Lucy leads debate in Parliament - 5th March 2020
- Lucy accompanies constituent to give evidence at BEIS select committee
- Lucy raises the role of the Criminal Cases Review Commission - 19th March 2020
- Lucy raises the matter with Business Minister at Urgent Question - 10th June 2020
- Convictions are quashed and summary of Lucy's work to date - 2nd October 2020
- Lucy asks for justice to be done - 5th October 2020
- Justice for Sub-Postmasters - 7th October 2020
- Lucy raises issue with Prime Minister at PMQ's - 24th March 2021
- Lucy raises Post Office Litigation - 27th April 2021
- Prime Minister meets Tracy Felstead - 30th April 2021
- Lucy seeks compensation for all victims of Post Office Scandal - 21st May 2021
- Lucy asks Minister Scully to ensure justice for the 555 postmasters - 15th December 2021
- Lucy asks Minister to ensure that civil servants who were involved in the Horizon scandal can be held to account - 24th February 2022
- Lucy criticises the Post Office's use of group litigation and seeks an apology - 22nd March 2022
- All the links to Lucy's campaigning in Hansard, the official Parliamentary record, are available here.
In the media:
- 14/2/20 – Post Office jail terms a ‘national scandal’ says MP
- 7/3/20 – Post Office scandal as ‘dodgy’ IT system STILL causing errors worth £1million
- 6/10/20 – Post office continues to review Horizon cases
- 7/10/20 – Groupthink led to wrongful convictions says MP
- 24/04/21 – Post Office worker Tracy Felstead ‘over the moon’ to clear name